Notifying DVLA when you buy or sell a vehicle in the UK

Tell DVLA about all changes

It includes a range of important aspects to driving safely and legally, such as:

Driving licence changes
New register keeper
Selling to a motor trader
Changes to a vehicle that must be recorded on the V5C log book
New medical conditions that may change your driving licence

Check the legal requirements when notifying DVLA of changes in ownership (that includes a new keeper resulting from a buy, sell or transfer), including dates when changes occurred.

This guide discusses the V5 logbook in detail.


Notify DVLA



This is Step 1 of your 13-Step Guide to buying a new or used car.

The team at CarVeto offers vast motor trade experience for all private car buyers and sellers here in the UK. You’ll learn how to:

  • Keep cash in your pocket by reducing ‘on the road’ costs (upfront)
  • Save on monthly running costs
  • Safely and legally buy a car that’s a worthwhile investment

We’ve been dealing with cars for over 30-years – use the links below to find the information you need the most.

Take a look below…

Notifying DVLA when buying from a dealer or privately

Read this guide for instructions on DVLA change of name in all circumstances.

For simple sale and transfer notifications, complete the green Section 2 (sell/transfer my vehicle to a new keeper)

Fill out the slip in full, including your:

  • Full name or business name
  • Full UK address including the postcode
  • Date of sale (now mandatory)
  • Mileage (optional but recommended)
  • Contact phone number (optional)
  • Email address (optional)
  • Driver’s license number (optional)


The green slip allows you to tax the car at a post office, but you can do it quick and easily online (you’ll need the document reference number).

As the new keeper, you keep the green slip and the dealer, or current registered keeper sends the rest of the V5 to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA.


Tax online when you first buy a car. The moment you do, there’s a record of it. So, any parking or road traffic issues that occurred before will not get passed along to you.


A week or two later, DVLA will send your new V5. If you are selling the car, expect a confirmation slip, like this one:

Acknowledgement Slip From DVLA That Confirms Changes To Ownership

Trader invoice

Ensure the invoice includes the dealer’s name, address, VAT reg number and the date of purchase.

If you’ve taken up a finance deal, gather all the information about it. Make sure you know the borrowed amount, the deposit paid (if any), date when the agreement begins, monthly repayment, payment date and the total amount payable across the whole lend period including interest and charges.

Receipt – private seller

If you buy privately, get a hand-written receipt that includes the sale price, vehicle make and model, vehicle registration mark, mileage, date of sale, your name/address and the sellers.

Used car warranty document

If the car comes with a warranty, you are likely to have some documents in case you need to make a claim. Before you sign the invoice and drive away, find out:

  • Warranty exclusions
  • Claim limit per claim, inclusions and exclusions (used car warranties have limits ranging from £100 to £1,000 per claim, up to the purchase price).
  • How to make a claim (at the dealers or can you use a local garage?)

When you choose to buy a car, check its history first with a free vehicle reg check report from CarVeto.

Learn the things you need to know when buying a new or used car from a dealer or private seller. Our comprehensive guide will help you save money buying a car that is a safe, legal investment.