Checking the previous owners of a used car
Car ownership facts
Steps you can take for buying a quality car
Running a car owner check can potentially save you time, money and difficulties down the road. The results of your ownership check (before you purchase) may sway your decision to buy, or not.
You are best off getting an instant CarVeto check for all of the information about a used car.
Dispelling car owner myths
When looking at a V5C logbook and checking the number of previous owners (see image below) you’ll notice the car has one, two or three previous owners etc.
Car owner data checks
A CarVeto report provides the nearest online data relating to car owner information.
Included in each Platinum report:
- Number of previous keepers
- Current keeper acquisition date
- Current keeper ownership period
- The previous keeper sold date
- The previous keeper acquired date
- Vehicle age
- Registration data
- Postcode area and/or city location
Remember, this number is based on previous owners and does not account for the existing owner.
You notice that the car you want to buy is four previous owners from new. You need to include the existing owner in that tally. If you buy the car you are the sixth owner, not the fifth. When you come to sell the car the new owner will be the seventh.
CarVeto searches and returns information about previous ownership.
Most car dealers seem to miss this point
Ever notice that a car is advertised online as one owner from new, only to find it is one previous owner? We now know that if you were to buy the car you’d be the third owner.
Wow, it makes quite a difference, doesn’t it?
If you come across this mistake why not apply some leverage and get a few more pounds from the screen price.
Great car buying involves more than simply buying a car that is genuine and good value for money. It’s also good to think about the car value when you want to sell and any potential difficulties you might face should you want to sell quickly for anything like true market value.
The number of previous car owners is one of those elements that car buyers look to. From our tests and experience, it seems that a car that has more than 4 previous owners equals a difficult sale.
4 Owners or more = a hard sell
The car owner check parameter we recommend is 2 previous owners or less. Of course, there are many varying factors such as age, mileage, condition, service history, and if the vehicle has changed ownership within the same family. But, a good general benchmark is to be a maximum of the fourth owner.
Five owner cars are hard to sell, really hard, as the buyer never wants to be the sixth owner with the need to sell a seven-owner car.
Makes sense, right?
Run a free car check
Car owner check investigations
If you want to search the history of previous car ownership there are a number of things you can do.
- Look at the previous and existing owners names and addresses as printed on the V5C logbook. Write to the old owners and ask questions
- Look through the service records and see if there are any old receipts or invoices for maintenance work. Check the names and addresses on those invoices. You can write to the old owners and ask your questions (when was the cambelt last changed/was the car reliable? etc)
- Complete a V888 form via the DVLA to request information about a vehicle. DVLA reserve the right to decline your request but it is worth a try
- Run a CarVeto check. We search and return all available data pertaining to used cars in the UK including a car owner check. We might hold some information otherwise unavailable to you. Our platinum check is just £12.50 and turns out to be a great asset for any used car
The team at, CarVeto
Additionally, Platinum CarVeto searches over 50 data points that result in a vast report on any UK vehicle
Plate transfers and more