Telling DVLA about a new keeper of a car


Steps to take when a car remains in the UK or is being exported


Don’t miss out on any road tax refunds you might be due

If there are exceptional circumstances such as a bereavement, visit our DVLA transfer ownership drivers guide.

DVLA Car Report

Enter a vehicle registration (number plate)
Example KX63TWF

Tell DVLA when you have bought or sold a car.

Sell a vehicle

Go here for sold car DVLA

What you need to tell DVLA when you sell a vehicle online or in person prior to selling your car.

You must update your V5C vehicle registration document ( dvla logbook) if you have

  • made any changes to your vehicle that DVLA need to be made aware of (this can impact emissions, MOT testing and road tax status
  • Changed your name or address or other personal information

If you don’t tell DVLA about changes after a sale or transfer of a car, you may miss out on road tax refunds.

When selling your car

You’ll need the V5C log book to help when using a sell my car comparison tool. It is good to let the buyer have a look at it so they can ensure it is genuine and matches your vehicle. If you sell to trade, they’ll keep the log book and complete the yellow ‘Sell Car To Trade’ section. You must send this section to DVLA.

But, do not give them the logbook document reference number or provide them with an image of your vehicle logbook. If a third party has this much information they can easily defraud you and get a fake logbook. This often contributes to cloned or stolen cars.

If you have a vanity plate (private number plate) that you plan to keep and transfer to a new vehicle, apply to DVLA for removal, before you sell: DVLA and private number plates.

After you have sold your car

If the buyer is keeping your old car in the UK, give them the green ‘new keepers supplement’ slip from the V5 logbook.

You have to notify DVLA of a sale or transfer and provide the new keeper’s full name and address.

Should the car be exported abroad, complete the ‘permanent export’ section of your V5 logbook.

Send this slip to DVLA, Swansea, SA991BD. Do not send the logbook to DVLA as the new owner needs it for importing into a new country.

However, do include a letter with your slip that states the new owner’s name and address. A vehicle check can be a useful addition to service records and helps build trust with potential buyers.

Remember to pick up any road tax refund after a permanent exportation of a car.

Haven’t sold yet and need some help? 

Related articles: Selling a car and outstanding finance

What Quora has to say about staying safe when selling a vehicle