Quickly check if a car is taxed and MOT’d


All UK vehicles on this road must have road tax, otherwise known as road fund license. Permits can be obtained for all vehicles via the .gov website

Is your car taxed and legal?

Enter a vehicle registration (number plate)
Example KX63TWF

Tax and mot check are included within all CarVeto reports.

How to get road tax

Tax your motorcycle, car, lorry or other vehicle type by using reference number from one of these vehicle documents:

  • Your V5C DVLA logbook (the vehicle needs to be registered in your name to enable this)
  • A recent V11 reminder form (this might also be called ‘last change’ via a DVLA final warning letter)
  • Green ‘new keepers supplement’ (this slip is attached to the current V5C and obtained at point of purchasing the vehicle). The vehicle will not be registered in your name if using this method

Payment is made with a valid credit or debit card, or monthly via bank Direct Debit.


Exceptions and getting road tax

You may qualify for road tax exemption i.e. if disabled or the vehicle is over a certain age. Use this link to learn about exemptions.


Changing vehicle taxation class

This occurs when the previous car owner was disabled or if you are disabled and have just bought the vehicle. It is a very important step. Get all the information via .gov.


Other ways to apply for car tax

DVLA contact information
DVLA vehicle taxation
Call: 0300 123 4321

Post office
Most local post offices deal with car tax. Here is what you’ll need:

  • Vehicle logbook registered in your name


  • New keeper supplement

Without either of these you must apply for a new V5C logbook via the DVLA V62 form (use link for full article). Or check this guide if you have a lost log book.

If this is the case for you, you need to register your car with DVLA as SORN until you get a new logbook from DVLA. Here’s a useful guide on how to SORN my car.

If your vehicle is over 3 years of age, you’ll need a current DVLA MOT certificate too. You can’t tax a car without it.
Note, MOT data can take a few days to update on the government database. So, there is a minor chance you can’t tax your car via this method.